FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions - Rubber Neck Signs
Frequently Asked Questions

Quality Signs, Affordable Signs in Oxnard, Ventura and CamarilloQ: What are grommets?
A: Grommets are brass rings that are typically 1/2-inch in diameter, inserted along the edges of the banner.  Unless specified, grommets are placed every couple feet on banners. Grommets allow for easy hanging with nails, rope or bungee cords.

Q: What is the difference between printed and die-cut vinyl?

A: Die-cut vinyl is typically used for simple graphics and lettering that has one or two colors. Printed vinyl would be used in applications such as full color graphics. If you have a complex logo that is more than just one or two colors, it will probably need to be printed. For example: Apple’s logo could be die-cut if it was to appear in just white. But if it appeared in a rainbow of colors or as a gradient, it would be printed.
Q: When would I use banner wind slits?
A: Wind slits are sometimes used for very large banners. They look like flaps in the shape of half circles. Cutting slits into banners is typically not advisable, because they become the weakest point on the banner and can actually tear the banner apart.  Besides making a banner look unattractive, it will only reduce the wind-load by approximately 5 percent. Using bungee cords to hold up the banner instead will relieve some of the stress on the banner.

Q: What is the most economical material to use for my exterior sign? 
A: With plastic lettering, you can achieve the look of metal, but for the price of plastic.

Q: Do you offer laminating and when would I need to laminate a graphic?
Rubber Neck Signs offers laminating, or what is commonly referred to as an “overlaminate,” a clear film applied over a printed vinyl graphic to protect the graphic from being scratched. Laminate is available in glossy or matte finish. 

We recommend laminating printed graphics to protect against scratches, road debris, graffiti and UV exposure. For certain applications, you would not need to laminate, such as with temporary signage, or if the graphic will be used indoors. The general rule is that most graphics that move should be laminated (i.e. vehicle graphics.) Graphics that are printed on permanent vinyl that are expected to last for several years and are exposed to weather and road debris should be laminated. It is not necessary to laminate non-printed vinyl.

Q: I have a graphic that I need printed on clear. Is that possible, and if so, how long will the graphic last?
Yes, our Roland printer can print on clear, and can print white ink and over 500 metallic colors. The clear vinyl that we most commonly print on is an Oracal vinyl that has a 5-year outdoor durability – meaning the length of time the manufacturer expects the product to last under proper care. It comes in matte and gloss, with permanent adhesive. It works great for interior or exterior signage, decals, nameplates and di-cut letters. Printing on clear is a great solution if you are printing a gradient and want the background color to come through.

Q: How should I save and send my artwork?
For best results, save your artwork as a .PDF or .EPS. Please save smaller printing jobs at 300 dpi (number of dots or pixels per inch). For larger jobs such as banners, use 150 dip. Images over 18 square feet and up to 30 square feet, use 100 dpi. Images over 30 square feet, save at 72 dpi; over 60 square feet, 50 dpi.

Q: I can’t find my artwork, but I can download my company logo from my website. Would that work?
No. Images taken from websites rarely can be reproduced for large format printing such as on banners or vehicle graphics, because they are typically very small images, about an inch in size, and will look distorted when blown up. For best results, we would need the original vector artwork or high resolution image, because it can be enlarged without losing the image quality.

Q: Do you offer a warranty on your vinyl?
Rubber Neck Signs has a full one year warranty on all sign products, starting at the completion of the install.

Q: What kind of banner material do you use and do you also offer double-sided banners and hemming? What is the widest banner you can print?
We use 13 oz. banner material that is tear and curl resistant and offers brilliant colors that pop. Our banners can be used for indoor and outdoor applications, and are available in matte and gloss. We don’t recommend gloss banners for outdoor applications, because of the glare from the sunlight. We also offer double-sided banners and hemming at an additional cost. Our printer prints on media up to 54” wide, but we can create wider banners by seaming two or more banners together.

Q: What is your typical turnaround time?
Turnaround time depends on volume of current orders and what the job entails. However, most jobs are processed within 24 hours after artwork is approved for printing. Printing and laminating is a two-day process, because we have to let the ink cure for 24 hours before applying the overlaminate.

Q: I’m done using my old banner. Can they be recycled, or do they just go in the dumpster?
Our old banners are recyclable.

Q: What’s the best way to find out about any sales or promotions you are having? And do you offer a military discount?
Follow us on Facebook or Twitter by clicking the icon at the top of our website. And in appreciation for our armed forces service members, we offer a military discount of 10% with a valid military ID. For the family members of military service members who have paid the ultimate sacrifice, we offer a free 6-inch by 6-inch “In Memory” decal.

If you have a question that’s not listed here, please e-mail info@rubbernecksigns.com.

About Us
Contact Us
Terms of Use
Privacy Statements
Car Magnets
Vehicle Graphics
Store Fronts
Custom Lettering
Vehicle Wraps
Real Estate Signs
Floor Graphics
City Bus Advertising
Formed Letters
Sandwich Board

Oxnard Office
1801 Holser Walk, Unit 110
Oxnard, CA 93036
Phone: 805-201-2498
Fax: 805-983-1373

Email: info@rubbernecksigns.com

Hours of operation:
Monday – Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday by appointment

Newbury Park Office
2393 Teller Rd. Unit 105
Newbury Park, CA 91320
Phone: 805-375-7446
Fax: 805-375-7447